Category Archive: 04. Drivers

Feb 12

AI pluses versus minuses

We already know Elon Musk, South African born multi-billionaire, predicts that AI (Artificial Intelligence) will be more dangerous than North Korea And legendary physicist Professor Steven Hawking is also wary: “AI has the potential to be the worst event in the history of our civilisation” On the other hand, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates pooh-poohs their pessimism and …

Continue reading »

Nov 20

Has innovation really peaked?

US economist Robert Gordon gets a lot of publicity these days for his dismal view that ‘technological innovation is declining in pace and impact compared to those of the 20th century’ – all set out in his book ‘The Rise and Fall of American Growth’ His whole thesis is based on economic growth statistics, GDP …

Continue reading »

Nov 19

AI to spark a new productivity boom?

A new productivity boom could be sparked by AI – Artificial Intelligence? Who says so? No less than two UK government ministers Culture Secretary Karen Bradley says: “AI has the potential to improve our every day lives” – precisely what productivity improvement is all about And Business Secretary Greg Clark claims: “Huge social and economic benefits …

Continue reading »

Oct 17

Business schools are failing the nation

Luke Johnson, a well-known UK businessman and Sunday Times journalist, asks: “What are business schools for?” He believes they are ‘generally failing when it comes to researching the field of business’ Apparently, there are 120 members of the UK’s Chartered Association of Business Schools but none ‘defend the achievements of business’ i.e. the merits of …

Continue reading »

Sep 16

AI will transform the future

In the early 19th century, most of the world’s population was employed on manual, back-breaking agricultural work – then automation increased the productivity of farmers more than tenfold whilst reducing their numbers from being the majority of the workforce to less than 2% – and the many outplaced moved on to new, better-paid jobs in …

Continue reading »

Sep 01

Barriers to ‘new technology’ diffusion

If GDP measures are to be believed, some 80% of global GDP is generated by less than 20% of the global population At global level, the top 20% of economies would appear to have productivity levels at least three to four times better than the rest, the other 80% – and this gap is widening …

Continue reading »

Aug 24

Mongrel, not pedigree, leaders needed now

Is there something rotten at the heart of UK (and G7/ EU) leadership quite apart from the lack of good measures and productivity knowhow with which they manage their economies? Indeed, why are their economies apparently so sclerotic these days, especially the UK despite their track record for empire building, starting the Industrial Revolution and …

Continue reading »

Jul 11

Benefits of digital investment need time

An interesting article from IoT Agenda explores why digital investment in increasingly capable devices/ things/ solutions are empowering businesses to transform their processes and workflows but not yet showing up in real productivity gains One theory is ‘the metrics used are suspect’ – however, the author sides with another The rapid evolution in transformative technologies …

Continue reading »

Jun 28

AI the next GPT?

PWC (Price Waterhouse Coopers), the management consultancy, claim global GDP will be some 14% higher in 2030 as a result of AI – Artificial Intelligence This is equivalent to an extra $15.7 trillion The greatest gains will be realised in China and North America Anand Rao, global leader of AI at PWC says: “The value of …

Continue reading »

May 12

CEOs rate potential of new technology ‘very low’!

A new Gartner survey of 388 CEOs/ senior executives found they rated as “very low” the potential for productivity improvement from new breakthrough technologies such as IoT, AI, blockchain (secure databases) and 3D printing In particular, when asked for their ‘top enabling technology for improving productivity’: Only 2% chose IoT – and only 1% picked either …

Continue reading »

Older posts «